Ryan was born and raised in Ames. He's been a Landscape business owner for over 20 years. He sold a previous Landscape & Lawn care company and founded Distinctive Landscapes in 2013.
Dillon graduated from Kirkwood Community College with an Associates Degree in Landscape Construction. He has 8 years of landscaping field experience and now helps manage day-to-day operations.
Landscape Maintenance Supervisor
Brandy has been with us since 2018. She specializes in Enhancing and maintaining existing landscapes. She is also a Certified Chemical Applicator.
Nathan has over 15 years landscaping experience. His dedication to delivering a high quality product, no doubt, makes him one of the best hardscapers in the area.
Justin has been with us since the fall of 2017. He has many years of experience working construction and heavy equipment operation.
Michael has been with us since the fall of 2018, starting as crew member, but has quickly rose to a crew leader due to his hard work and eagerness to learn new skills.
Mr. Guernsey twenty years of experience in the land development industry for residential, commercial, industrial, office, municipal and institutional sites nationwide. Mr. Guernsey has designed and managed projects in urban, suburban, and rural areas encompassing a full spectrum of built work.
Mr. Guernsey twenty years of experience in the land development industry for residential, commercial, industrial, office, municipal and institutional sites nationwide. Mr. Guernsey has designed and managed projects in urban, suburban, and rural areas encompassing a full spectrum of built work. The success of his projects is a definitive indicator of his ability to coordinate with all professional disciplines not only in horizontal development but also in vertical high-rise construction. Mr. Guernsey has a keen understanding for human scale and the hardscape elements that realize a dynamic environment. Mr. Guernsey’s field experience and attention to detail provides him the necessary knowledge to develop design solutions that are not only conceptual, but are applicable real world solutions.
- Prado on Lake Avenue, Design and construction observation of a 1.2 acres six story mixed-use mid-rise with 103 units located at 85 South Lake Avenue. Project included streetscape design, amenities area, grading, and public art component and coordination, Pasadena, CA.*
- Domain ll, implementation of a new mixed-use high-rise site containing first floor retail with residential dwelling units above. The project consisted of streetscape design, exterior hardscape, water feature, an on-grade pool courtyard and numerous rooftop amenities areas. This phase of the Domain development is comprised of approximately 400 residential units and 15,000 sq. ft. of retail, Austin, Tx.
- Legacy north Phase iii, conceptual design and construction detailing of a 4.5 acres, multi-family project. The site is located in the award-winning Shops at Legacy mixed us master planned development. The projects landscape and urban design components include street scape, public entry plaza, and three resident amenities court yards, Plano, Tx.
- Caelum Moor, conceptual design and construction detailing of public environmental art installation for the city of Arlington, Tx. The site is located in the city of Arlington entertainment District, between the Texas Rangers' stadium and new Dallas cowboys' stadium. The installation consists of 5 sculpture pieces comprised of over 20 monolithic Texas granite stones, native planting, and landscape lighting. The granite installation is one of the largest in the world, with monolithic pieces weighing in excess of 30 tons, Arlington, Tx.
- Vista estates, conceptual design and construction detailing of a 320 acres single family detached site. The site is characterized by linear parks and localized neighborhood parks with amenities that are useful to families of all ages and sizes. one of the most significant elements in the layout is the large conveyance channel which also acts as a green space corridor for the entire project, casa Grande, AZ.*
- North Ridge, Site Planning and landscape architecture for a 9 acres multi-family project located at State Highway Route101 and 22nd Street. Project included design of roadways, entry monumentation, perimeter walls, columns, ornamental iron gates, fencing, and pool courtyard, Phoenix, AZ.*
- The crescent at Fells Point, Design, site planning, and construction observation of water-front townhomes and apartments in the historic Fells Point area of Baltimore. Project included four amenities areas two of which occurred above dwelling units on structural slab. each respective amenities area was constructed with a Landscape Architecture drawing set that contained details and plans for outdoor fireplaces, pools, site furnishings, drainage, ornamental iron, flatwork, and lighting, Baltimore, MD.*
- The Lofts on Post oak, Design of a new multi-family mid-rise and high-rise site on 5.18 acres located in Houston’s Galleria area. The project consisted of streetscape design, exterior hardscape, architectural detail elements, and five interior courtyards. The interior courtyards contained specific elements such as water features, fireplaces, custom barbeques, and sub-tropical plant material, Houston, TX.
- Current, Design of a new mixed-use high-rise site containing 4,300 sf. of retail space located at 1551 Union Street. The project consisted of streetscape design, exterior hardscape, water feature, monumentation and rooftop amenities area. The rooftop amenities areas contained specific elements such as water features, fireplaces, custom barbeques, and fire pits. The upper level amenities area resides above dwelling units, while the lower level area resides on structural slab above an underground parking facility, San Diego, CA.
- 717 Olympic, Design of new mixed-use high-rise site containing 6,800 s.f. of retail space located at 717 Olympic Boulevard across from the Staples center. The project consisted of streetscape design, exterior hardscape, water features, monumentation, and rooftop amenities areas. The rooftop amenities areas contained specific elements such as water features, fireplace, custom barbeques, and two fire pits. Special attention was given the materials and their application. Glass and stainless were used extensively to provide pool barrier, while retaining the feel of an open and expansive amenities area. This project also used alternative drainage methods, by applying the latest technologies, planter waterproofing, and pedestal paving, Los Angeles, CA.
- The Boulevard, Design of a new multi-family mid-rise occupying one square block in the golden triangle district of Denver. The project consisted of streetscape design, exterior hardscape, architectural detail elements, and four interior courtyards. The interior courtyards contained specific elements such as water features, fireplaces, custom barbeques, and sculpture. Two of the courtyards doubled as water treatment basins for rooftop runoff, Denver, co*
- Lake Havasu 470, conceptual design and development of 470 acre mixed us site plan. The site was located on an alluvial challenging the design team with site constraints. Design development of entry monuments, way finding, amenities area, playfields, and street cross sections culminating in a power-point presentation with numerous rendered exhibits, Lake Havasu, AZ.*
* denotes work completed prior to joining RTKL
George Guernsey PLA
- Bachelors of Landscape Architecture, iowa State University, 2001
- Registrations of Record:
- Registered Landscape Architect Iowa no. LA00736, Registered Landscape Architect Arizona no. 44789, Registered Landscape Architect California no. 5371, Registered Landscape Architect Texas no. 2250, Registered Landscape Architect Utah no. 6346422-5301, Council of Landscape Architect Registration Boards certificate no. 3464
Lead Shop Dog (retired)
Lilly is 13 years old. She is retired but still makes her presence known at the shop by barking anytime she feels she deserves a treat. Lilly is very friendly and enjoys napping on her dog bed.
Ava was born in 2018. Her duties include greeting visitors at the door and boosting morale. Eva is very friendly and enjoys head scratches and getting into things she isn't supposed to.